Friday, January 16, 2009

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sunday, I had the brilliant idea to go check out the race course at Lake Anna. I loaded up my car with my pack, my shoes, gloves, hat, bars and all the other accessories I thought I might need. I got the directions off google map and headed to the lake. About two thirds there, I realized I needed gas. Then I realized that with all the gear I had brought for running, I forgot my purse. The needle was getting down to the big E and I was a little concerned. But, I was almost to Lake Anna so I figured I would worry about it later. It was quiet at the lake, in fact I was the only car parked in the lot... I had a trail map of the loops we would be running. How hard can this be? So I put my pack on and headed down where I thought the race was going to begin. The first thing I discovered was a nice big hill going into the campground. Well at least we would be running down the hill on the way back. Then the trails headed into the woods. Since the ice storm on Thursday, the temperature had climbed above freezing and the trails were now muddy with lots of horse piles to avoid. I missed one turn right off the bat. Turn around, try this trail. The name is right, so I'm back on track. At the next intersection I never could figure out which way to go. Finally I just ran the section backward. There were signs "Caution: Steep grade ahead" You crested the hill and down you went only to climb up another steep hill and do the same thing. A regular roller coaster. I ended up back where I got turned around before and this time was able to find the next section. I finished the loop with no mishaps (only two little tumbles). Eight miles in 1 hr 50 min. That's slow. How much time did I lose looking at the map? Oh, the fun of being directionally challenge. I ran the short loop next and finished 4.7 miles in 1 hr. A little better, but not much. How many loops can I run in 8 hrs? Should I just do the short ones or try alternating? Can I make 31 miles? All these questions were running through my head as I loaded the car back up. Then the pressing problem of the gas came back. I scrounged and found $20! Now I just had to find a gas station. But first, to get out of the park. "Please Lord, let the gate be open." (That's another story, getting locked in a national park is quite the experience). Once through the gate my prayers changed "Please, Lord let me get to a gas station." Fortunately my prayers were answered shortly, and I had a successful trip home.

No comments:

Post a Comment