Thursday, January 22, 2009

Jan 20-22, 2009 Snow, Cold & Treadmills

Tuesday, January 20th - It was single digits when I woke, but there was snow on the ground. Granted, one inch is not much to get excited about but so far this year it's the best we've got. The graveled mountain roads were covered, so it was my first chance to get out and run in the snow. Despite the fact that I was told to run both trail and roads in regular running shoes, I knew that this occasion called for the Salomon Trails - warmer, waterproof and better traction. Today was the "mountain vs. woman" routine. I start at the bottom of a 2.5 mile mountain road that climbs 1000ft to the top. If I run the whole way up, I beat the mountain, and the mountain wins if I have to stop or walk. Normally, I do it twice. Eventually, I'd like to do it 3 or 4 times - that would get me in shape for some of the more vigorous trail races. I decided to forego the yaktrax on the way up, so I clawed and pulled myself towards the top. Even with a little snow I could tell the difference, every step seemed harder. "I'm still running," I kept telling myself even as my pace slowed to a dismal 4mph, then to almost 3mph. "I'm not moving fast, but I'm still running," I said as I made my final push to the top of the mountain. The snow was thicker here with icy patches, and I decided for the trip down the mountain, the Yaktrax were in order. Downhill grades are easier on the lungs but harder on the legs. Part of me wants to put the brakes on, the other part wants to just let gravity take over and do a freefall. I'm starting to feel the Yak trax under my feet, so I take them off and decide to do a side road instead of a double "mountain vs. woman." Aside from the hose of my hydration bladder freezing and the ice framing my face and clinging to my hat, scarf, and hair, it ended up being a great run. Some Garmin statistics - 13.2 miles, time:2:38:37, avg speed 12min/mile, max speed 7:30min/mile(I always love this calculation) avg heart rate 109bpm, max 158bpm.

Wednesday, Jan.21st - After teaching three classes at the homeschool coop, I decide to forego the outdoor run, and do a little treadmill work at the gym. I start with a 1/2 mile warmup, walking on full incline (15%) at 4mph. Now, it's time for the real workout. Each mile, I start at 9:30min/mile and build to 7:30min/mile, trying to hold the fastest time for as long as possible, before I drop it back and start all over. This is my best 5k time. Eventually, I'd like to push it to 7:00min/mile. 9:30min/miles feel like coasting after the 7:30s. I do this for 6 miles - it gets harder with each mile! Then, I do a half-mile cool-down at 9min pace. A quick and fun hour long workout. A guy comes into the room while I'm running - "You training for another marathon?" he asks. "Something like that," I respond. I do some ab work to cool down.

Thursday, Jan. 22nd - More treadmill work, this time on the home machine which I'm about to throw out the window! The incline won't adjust, you can only increase your speed, and the thing won't turn off once you've started it. The only way to quit is to go 100 minutes or pull the emergency key out of it's slot, at which point you lose all your data. The treadmill has many affectionate nicknames like the "dreadmill," and the "hamster wheel." I just call my treadmill "you worthless piece of junk." In all fairness, this was given to me by some dear friends and it worked great until I started running 3 and 4 hours on it at a time. I think my sweat short-circuited the electronics. Anyhow, to survive long distances on the dreadmill, I watch movies - usually inspirational ones, if they're about runners, all the better. Today I watched "Running Brave," about Billy Mills winning a gold medal in the 10k at the olympics. Then I started watching "Without Limits," about Prefontaine, but I don't know if he ever won anything 'cause I had to pull the plug to get ready for work. At 85 minutes into the run, with a pace of 10:42min/mile, I decide I need to go to the bathroom, only I can't get the thing to stop. Okay, I think I can make it 15 more minutes. Then Billy Mills is running his olympic race. He speeds up, I speed up. He wins with a final kick! He's stopped running, but I can't! I can't even slow back down. Fortunately the 100 minutes arrived, and I was able to take my potty break. I lasted another 84 minutes, pulling the plug at the climax of "Without Limits." 17.2 miles, steady pace of 10:42.

No comments:

Post a Comment