Monday, June 21, 2010

Summer Solstice Run - June 19, 2010 - 36 miles

An urban trail running adventure. The goal was to run Day 4 of my 15in15, with the starting point being the parking lot for the W&OD bike trail at Route 28 in Sterling.Since I would be running in the heat of the day, with limited access to water, I carried my large hydration pack as well as a smaller waist pack. So, I was carrying about 10 extra pounds of gear and water. There were a lot of bikers on the trail. Apparently on Sunday, the Tour de Cure - a 100 mile bike ride, was going to take place on the W&OD. A lot of the teams were out, getting a feel for the trail. "Passing on your left!" was yelled in my ear, over and over again. I preferred the "ding!" of a bike bell. Sometimes the biker would get right next to me and yell "PASSING!" causing me to about jump out of my skin. I ran on the adjacent horse trail when possible - it was graveled trail, less crowded and more shaded.

Even on an urban trail there is wildlife to be found. I'm running along when a small groundhog runs onto the trail and stops right in front of me.

"Pay the toll, or I won't let you pass!" he chirps, his eyes darting around.

"What's the toll?"

"You got anything to eat?"

"Just gels," I reply, rummaging through my pack.

"Hmph, not good enough," he says, scratching a flea with his back foot.

"Get out of my way, or I'll kick you to the moon!" I threaten.

"You wouldn't," he protests.

I raise my leg back. He scurries off the trail into his hole.

The trail runs in and out of towns. Often, there is a stop light just for the trail. Sometimes I have to wait a minute or more before crossing. That's okay, I welcome the breaks. In Vienna, the trail runs right by the old train station. There is a farmer's market  and I take a break to wander through the stands. I guess there's no way to add a pint of tomatoes to my backpack, and the one booth selling drinks is all sold out. I press on. It's about mile 17 and I'm somewhere in Falls Church. My water is running low, and I'm hot. Off the trail to the right, I see some kids with a lemonade stand - 25 cents a cup. I give them a dollar, drink 3 cups and tell them to keep the change. Refreshed, I hit the trail again. Finally, about another mile down the trail I see a water fountain. Unfortunately, it doesn't work. But wait! The ultimate aid station is across the street, a 7-Eleven store. I buy a 50oz bottle of water and a protein bar. Sitting down at one of the tables outside the store, I refill my hydration bladder and eat the bar. Now, I'm really ready to roll - less than 10 miles to DC!

The miles click slowly by. I'm not trying to set any speed records, just trying to sustain a maintainable pace. When I cross interstate 495, I stop to take a picture of the traffic below. Hey, the ultimate urban scenic trail overlook. Eventually, I reach my intersecting trail, the Custis Trail, which will take me into the city. It runs right along Route 66, the barrier walls the only thing separating us. I can feel the heat coming from the highway, it's probably over 100 degrees in spots. I'm counting down the miles because I'm not really sure when I cross Key Bridge and enter DC - 20, 21, 22 (where is it?), 23, 24. Finally! As I cross the Potomac, I notice the boats on the river, most of them anchored, some in a cluster of 2 or 3 boats - a floating party.

Now, I'm in Georgetown (mile 25). I stop at the Running Company, leave a brochure, and buy some Body Glide and Sport Beans. They might put my 15in15 run in their monthly newsletter! Next stop is McPherson Square, the ending point for Day 4. Weaving through the hoards of people, stopping at all the crosswalks - how do people run in the city - and eventually ending at the park with 27 miles under my belt. This park has a large homeless population, and a church group is there getting ready to do a fish fry. I talk to them for a while, explain what I am doing, and give them a brochure. They may also be in touch about speaking at their church.

I'm feeling pretty good, so I decide to keep going and start the Day 5 route. I run down to Constitution Ave. and buy some more water from one of the street vendors. Leaving DC by way of the Lincoln Memorial, I cross the bridge into Virginia and head to the Mt. Vernon Trail. This trail runs along the river and will take me about 15 miles. But I don't go quite that far today! I maintain a steady running pace until I hit the 50k point (31 miles) and then take each mile as it comes. I'm basically running until Steve and Lindsey, who just started from home catch up to me! Even in the late afternoon/early evening the sun is beating down hot as Hades. Steve said it was 94 degrees as they drove in. I approach Reagan National Airport and as the planes land, they fly right over my head. Apparently, this is a great Saturday pasttime, watching the planes land, because the trail winds right behind the airport. People are gathered on the hill, taking pictures, picnicking, or playing soccer.

Now, I realize I'm out of water again, and I see no place to get any. I try to keep running but eventually I slow to a walk. I sit on a bench and rest - boy, it's hard to keep going. Finally, I see the marina and I straggle into it having done 34 miles. With 2 bottles of water and a soda in me, I perk up. Since Steve and Lindsey are close, I jog around and near the marina until they arrive, 35 miles. Then, together, we walk one more mile to make it 36 miles for the day. We drive the rest of Day 5 and Day 6 and happily discover that it puts us right at the edge of Fredericksburg. The 15in15 is shaping up, and so am I.

1 comment:

  1. SuSu--call me dense but I didn't realize you were by National Airport! This is where I run!
    (Melissa Roy)

    ReplyDelete