Friday, October 30, 2009

Marine Corps Marathon

The race that didn’t happen. If I don’t write about it, then it didn’t happen, right? If I ignore it long enough, it will go away. But I still have that big clunky medal and the $80 official jacket! Oh and the way too big race shirt.

So this is the short version (the long version no one but me will read because I poured out my soul on the paper and you really don’t want to see it, trust me):

Shivering, teeth chattering cold at the start, too many people, pushing crowding against me, weaving through the crowds, long lines at the potty – held it for 26+ miles. Noise, noise and more noise – horns and people. I can’t think, I can’t focus – just got to get away from these people. I’m tired and its only half way. Slowing, slowing. Maybe I should just stop, maybe I should find my family and go home. Can’t hear my inner voice – no drive, no ambition. Tired, dizzy, I think I’m going to pass out. Walk, run, cramp, walk, dizzy. Crying. why is this so hard? Want to drop to my knees and crawl to the finish. Dizzy. No! stay standing! Musn’t quit, musn’t quit……done. Give me room to breath, fake smile for the camera, where’s my family, crowding, never again…
Time: 4:48:05

1 comment:

  1. Awww, SuSu, I know it looks bad, But One bad race doesn’t make an entire career.
    We are so proud of you. I love hearing about your training.

    My friend Wayne Botts used to say it’s not winning the race, it’s not even about finishing the race, it’s about doing the best you have in you on the day, then challenging yourself to do more in the next one. He would tell me “Linda, the Joy is in the Striving.” Wayne was an amazing guy who came to know Christ late in life just before he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. He was also a 100 mile in 24 hours endurance rider. He ran the equivalent of two marathons every time he went, out just to keep his horses sound. There is a lot more to that story.

    But here is the point: we love you and we think you are amazing. You give us delight, because God put this desire in you to run and run for him. Every time I hear of your amazing training runs and how much joy God gives to you for doing it, I just keep thinking: Blessed are the feet of them that bring good news.

    Rick Roeber is a friend on my face book. He is the guy who runs barefoot for Jesus. He can tell you about running the good race and he can tell you about runners that are so yielded to God that their running becomes worship.

    What is it that you strive for in your heart, my dear friend. (huggsss) ~Linda

    ReplyDelete