Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Snowy Morning Run - Tuesday Feb. 3rd


The groundhog saw his shadow yesterday. I guess that means 6 more weeks of winter. And to prove his point, it snowed last night again. It was a thick, wet snow that coated the trees and turned everything into a winter wonderland. Of course, I had to go run in it this morning. Plus, I got a hydration vest and just had to try it out. This was an organic run at it's best. I left my Garmin at work, my other watch has a dead battery, and my cell phone wasn't charged either. No pacing, no distance calculations, just running for the fun of it. First I headed up the mountain on my typical "woman vs. mountain" run. But I let the mountain win today, stopping to take pictures along the way. Halfway back down the mountain, I turned into the woods and ran on the Appalachian Trail for a while. The snow was probably 3-4 inches deep and padded the ground nicely. I followed deer tracks along the trail. When I got down to the creek, I couldn't figure out where the creek started and the bank ended. There was thin ice, covered with snow. Usually I have to jump from one rock to the next so I thought this was a good place to turn around. Back up to the road and down the mountain. I turned off down a side road for another mile and a half before I ran back to my car. By the way, the hydration vest worked great and nothing froze! Although, I did look like the hunchback of Notre Dame.

No comments:

Post a Comment